Making bread is very rewarding and is well worth doing regularly. Your family and friends will appreciate you making the effort. My method practised over many years does not require scales and precise measuring so you will find the more you do it the quicker the whole process will be.
The whole family can enjoy making bread and you will find fresh bread makes a wonderful gift too!
Bread recipe ingredients
- White flour 3/4 of a packet of a 1.5 kg bag
- 2 sachets of quick dried yeast
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 1 litre of warm milk / water
- tablespoon of honey ( or sugar)
- 2 eggs
- mixed dried fruit for Hot cross buns
- cinnamon for hot cross buns
- Mix the dry ingredients ( add cinnamon to a hot cross bun mixture ) in a big bowl
- Mix everything else in and stir
- Brush your surface with flour – tip out the mixture – fold it over and into itself with flour on your hands.
- Knead it vigorously for 5 minutes and then make shapes- e.g. make plaits or roll shapes
- Leave to rise for 30 minutes ( if you are not in a rush! )
- Bake in hot oven 220 degrees until brown ( approx 35 minutes)
- You can test if it is done if when you tap the bottom of a loaf and it makes a knocking sound
- When cooked turn it upside down
Video: How to blow out an egg
Video: Kneading and shaping a platt and hot cross buns
Video : How to decorate and hang your blown out egg shell
So they we are – if you have never made bread before then I hope you enjoyed it !